At Kennedy Heights we want to ensure your pet is cared for in all aspects of their life, which is why we offer weight management. Your pet’s weight has a direct effect on their overall health. Weight management supports your pet’s journey to a healthy weight through changes in their diet, lifestyle and exercise. If your pet is overweight or obese we create a unique plan to get them to their ideal weight. The same applies if your pet is underweight. To learn more about how we can help your pet get to a healthy weight, please call us at 604-591-5304.
Why do overweight pets need to lose weight?
When your furry friend is overweight they are more likely to develop medical conditions as the excess fat disrupts their health systems. Obese and overweight pets suffer from heart disease, arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes and more ailments. Unfortunately diseases like arthritis will continue to advance if your pet doesn’t lose weight. Living with these medical issues negatively changes your pet’s life, which is why their weight should be managed before symptoms progress further.
What changes can I make at home to support my pet’s weight goal?
There are different adjustments you can make to support your pet’s weight management plan. An important part of weight management is acknowledging this is a lifetime treatment that may need to be re-adjusted during the process. Here are some tips to follow:
- Say no when your pet is begging for table scraps. Feeding them human foods can do more harm than good.
- Establish a feeding schedule for your pet. Your loyal companion will consume more than they should if their food is accessible at all times.
- Limit their treats to 10% of their daily calories.
- Find other ways to reward your pet’s good behaviour like petting or playing with them.
- Add healthy snacks to their diet. Ask your veterinarian for recommendations.